By using local materials, reused materials and recycled materials, the Athletic Complex design reduces the amount of energy and natural resources used in transportation and manufacturing.
- Several rooms in the Athletic Complex have floors made from the floor of the old gym.
- The cabinetry is made from FSC certified wood, harvested locally.
- Countertops are made from recycled paper products.
- Recycled material was used in the steel (biggest component of recycled materials), carpet, linoleum, ceiling tiles, and the rubber mat on the running track.
- All paint, caulking and adhesives used in the building have low VOC levels(volatile organic compounds).
- Recycled steel beams are a prominent feature of the athletic complex.