Smith Philanthropic Literacy Board
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023-2024
PHILANTHROPIC LITERACY BOARD ARE NOW OPEN!
If you are a 501(c)3 whose mission matches our mission statement, as seen above, you can now apply for a $5,000 grant from the Philanthropic Literacy Board. All applications must be received by December 31, 2023.
- 2023 Smith Philanthropic Literacy Board Grant Recipient Announcement: Foster the Family
- 2022 Smith Philanthropic Literacy Board Grant Recipient Announcement: Baltimore Safe Haven
- 2021 Smith Philanthropic Literacy Board Announcement: Black Mental Health Alliance
- 2020 Smith Philanthropic Literacy Board Announcement: Environmental Action and Education
- 2019 Smith Philanthropic Literacy Board Announcement: Youth Wellness
- 2018 Smith Philanthropic Literacy Board Announcement: House of Ruth
The Smith philanthropic literacy board endowment fund
The Smith Philanthropic Literacy Board Endowment Fund was established and endowed by Cheryl Bernard-Smith and Chip Smith P’24 in 2018 as part of the This is Our Moment Campaign. The funds from this endowment support the student run organization that administers grants annually using the interest generated by the endowment. Each year, students choose a topic, research the topic, solicit requests for proposals and evaluate applicants before ultimately selecting an organization that best fits that year’s criteria. Students also learn about the composition of non-profits and their revenue streams as part of the program.
“Chip and I strongly believe in the value of connecting with our local and broader communities and giving back in whatever ways we can. We were excited to support the Philanthropic Literacy Board to not only help cultivate the leadership capacity of the students at RPCS, but also to encourage opportunities for learning at an early age how thoughtful decision making can truly change our world for the better.” – Cheryl Bernard Smith, P’24