Beginning in 2010, and through the efforts of many in the RPCS community in the areas of energy conservation, water efficiency, indoor environmental quality, materials and innovation, the existing building was updated to the standards set with the construction of the RPCS Athletic Complex.
- RPCS has reduced water use by 30% - new faucets, dual flush toilets and water bottle filling stations.
- Recycling and composting efforts at RPCS are exemplary and contribute to the rating.
- Energy consumption has been significantly reduced by an average of 53% annually since 2011.
- RPCS also cleans to the Green Seal Standard for Cleaning Services (GS42) by using only environmentally friendly cleaners inside the building and was the first school in the nation to participate in the Healthful Schools program, an initiative that promotes the adoption of science-based standards for cleaning to protect health and the environment.
- Outside of the building, environmentally friendly fertilizers and pesticides are used in spot treatments as needed.
- Exterior lighting on campus was changed to LEDs so that RPCS is dark sky compliant.